Energy Efficient Homes with Less Energy Consumption Have Lower Energy Costs
One of the major concerns in the world today is depletion of energy. And having an energy efficient home is a good way to help.
As concerned citizens all of us must make a concerted effort to be conscious citizens and save electricity through decreased energy consumption and lowering your energy costs with energy efficient homes. Wanting to save electricity has become integral to life but imagine having to live without power. It’s more than just changing light bulbs, but don’t get me wrong here. Changing light bulbs is also a big help to save electricity. Energy efficient homes are gaining popularity.
Conservation of electricity benefits you personally as your energy costs decrease and you will pay lower bills through less energy consumption. Consider this for energy efficient homes:
1. Doing an energy audit. This will tell you how and when you use energy and where the wastage lies. You will be able to make an “energy savings plan” by pinpointing exactly how you can cut back on energy consumption. Some ideas such as changing light bulbs and not leaving the coffee machine on at all times help your energy consumption and lowers your energy costs. Having energy efficient air conditioners help save electricity.
2. Think about resetting the thermostat ten degrees lower during the night. If you can do this for say approximately eight hours a day you will save 10% on electricity and energy costs without sacrificing comfort. Insulate the home in winter by drawing shut the drapes. Have your air conditioners and furnace checked and maintained to help stay energy efficient.
3. Check all insulation in the house. If you increase attic insulation to around 12 inches the energy consumption will reduce by 20 percent. Air conditioners and furnaces will run less and save electricity and money with this energy efficient plan!
4. Plant more trees around the house these will cool the house in summer and insulate the house in winter. Studies show that a green cover benefits in many energy efficient ways.
5. Have all electricity wires and outlets checked for leakage. Check all fuses and appliances, air conditioners and furnaces.
6. Fluorescent light bulbs are energy efficient. They use 75% less energy than ordinary light bulbs. These have a longer life and contribute to great savings.
7. Use energy efficient appliances. These use less energy and believe it or not a high-efficiency refrigerator uses less electricity than a light bulb.
8. When you are away even for a few hours or days you should turn off and unplug all electrical appliances and turn settings on the thermostat, water heater, and refrigerator to the lowest setting.
9. Ensure that you use an energy efficient water-saving shower head. Water heating costs for a family can be lowered by at least US$ 250 a year.
10. Weatherize your home. This helps reduce heating bills by 20% and cooling by at least 10 percent. Even when building a home or decorating it use weather friendly materials, those that are not good conductors of heat and cold. Install windows and glass panes in the roof in such away that you use sunlight to light up the rooms during day light hours. Make an effort to switch off lights and fans when leaving a room. Ensure that the filters in air conditioners and heaters are always cleaned and free of clog and dust.
If you live an energy efficient lifestyle you will see the numbers on the energy bill actually reducing. The power to cut energy costs is well within your control. It is as simple as only washing full loads and that to in cold water. Use the hot wash option only for very dirty clothes. Cook food only just before you are ready to eat that way you can save reheating costs as well as refrigerating costs of storing the food. Turn the thermostat of the refrigerator to minimum in cold or cool weather. Switch off freezers if they are not in use.